The Brewers played their first (and only, AFAIK) doubleheader of ’07, due to a rainout earlier in the year…good thing, too. The Brewers lost both to the Cardinals–7-6 in the day game, 5-2 in the night cap. Coupled with the Cubs win, the Brewers and Cubs are now tied for first, each with 48 losses.
Day Game Recap:
- Manny Parra made his first ever MLB start
- The Crew scored 6 runs in the first 3 innings off Cardinals’ starter Brad Thompson, including one on Ryan Braun’s 18th dinger of the year
- After 2 unearned runs in the 3rd, Parra gave up his lone earned run in the 5th and, despite struggling a bit in both the fifth and sixth innings, Yost left him in
- The Cardinals’ bullpen allowed just 1 hit, 2 walks, and 0 ER’s in the last 6 innings
- The Brewers’ bullpen–Carlos Villanueva allowed an earned run in the 7th…so Coco Cordero took a 6-4 lead into the 9th–and gave up 4 hits and 3 earned runs, as Scott Rolen drove in the tying run, before scoring the winning run on a Ryan Ludwick RBI single
Night Game Recap:
- The Crew sent another lefty, Chris Capuano, to the hill
- The Cards sent 0-10 Anthony Reyes to the mound
- Cappy allowed 3 ER’s in the first inning
- Reyes gave up only 2 hits in his 6 innings pitched, including Corey Hart’s 16th of the year
- The Cardinals bullpen allowed 0 hits, and 0 runs, in the last 3 innings
Yovani Gallardo tries to turn things around tomorrow.