The Brewers hope to improve upon their 3-3 mark against the Reds so far this season, as well as gain ground on the first-place Cubs who are 4 games ahead of the Crew in the NL Central.
Friday, July 11, 7:05 p.m. CT: RHP Josh Fogg (1-2, 8.39) vs. LHP Manny Parra (8-2, 3.65)
Saturday, July 12, 6:05 p.m. CT: RHP Edinson Volquez (11-3, 2.36) vs. RHP Seth McClung (5-4, 4.15)
Sunday, July 13, 1:05 p.m. CT: RHP Homer Bailey (0-3, 8.76) vs. LHP C.C. Sabathia (7-8, 3.79)
Things to look for:
- Can Parra remain perfect at Miller Park, where he is 5-0 this year? Parra has not faced the Reds’ powerful offense in 2008…will that be a factor?
- Can the Brewers’ offense figure out red hot Edinson Volquez, who is 5-3, 2.29 on the road in ’08, but has allowed at least two earned runs in each of his last six starts?
- Can Sabathia, who pitched 8 scoreless innings against the Reds on June 27 during interleague play, and allowed just 4 hits while fanning 11, find the same success on Sunday?
- Will Russell Branyan get the start at third base for all three games, as the Reds are sending three righties to the mound?
- Will skipper Ned Yost rest either All-Star starting outfielder Ryan Braun or All-Star reserve outfielder Corey Hart during the series? Yost will likely start both against Bailey, but no doubt will consider resting one or both if the Crew gets a big lead.