Well, the Brewers have moved into 2nd place (or a 3-way tie for 2nd, depending on how you look at it), thanks to having gone 14-5 since April 22nd.
Five starters have hit .300 or better in the last 7 days:
- Ryan Braun: 11-for-24, .458…with 3 HR’s, 12 RBI, and 8 runs scored
- Craig Counsell: 8-for-18, .444
- J.J. Hardy: 9-for-25, .360
- Jason Kendall: 9-for-25, .360
- Rickie Weeks: 9-for30, .300
(While Counsell is, technically, a bench player, he has played in 6 of the last 7 games and started some of them).
- Yovani Gallardo: 1-0, 3.75 ERA in 2 starts…and 13 K’s over 12 IP
- (tie) Mark DiFelice and Seth McClung: both have 2.25 ERA’s with 4 IP
Which Brew(er)s are ice cold?
- Mike Cameron: 4-for-21, .190
- Corey Hart: 7-for-29, .241…with 8 K’s, but 8 runs
- Jorge Julio: 5 ER’s over 3.67 IP, 12.27 ERA
- Braden Looper: 5 ER’s over 3.33 IP, 13.50 ERA
Here’s where I admit that my suggestion to move up Looper in the rotation was pre-mature.
Still, the Brewers are firing on almost all cylinders right now, get a day off, before continuing their homestand against a struggling Marlins team. Life is good in Cream City right now.